Friday, January 30, 2009
Update!
Today is day 2 of recovery for Wendell after his surgery yesterday. He's feeling okay...about as good as he should be feeling. The surgeries went well...they removed the large cyst and another smaller cyst on the other side. They went in through his mouth which meant that they had to remove the tooth that was beneath it. Then the second doctor went in through his nose to do a turbinad reduction (don't ask me what that is?!) and to correct his deviated septum. Poor guy has a sore mouth and packed up and swelling nose. They also had a hard time intubating him (putting the tube down his throat) and so his mouth and throat feel like they rubbed sand paper up and down it. and to top it off...he must have gotten some sort of corneal abrasian because he right eye hurts and he can't open it! I thought I was going to have to take him to an eye doctor today but he said it feels somewhat better than yesterday so we'll let that continue to get better on its own. It's hard for him to breathe but they gave him some vicadin so I'm just keeping him doped up so he can try to sleep some. The surgery took a LONG time with all the pre-op procedures and the recovery time so I brought a book to read....Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. you may have noticed the Shelfari bookshelf on my blog where I have her book My Sister's Keeper as one of my favorite books. So far this book is RIVETING. The underlying theme is religion, redemption and forgiveness. She always takes somewhat controversial topics and writes a story about it. But she writes it from several people's perspective so you switch from person to person. She really helps you see things from all sides...kind of a "you can't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes" type approach. I LOVED My Sister's Keeper and I'm loving this one just as much. I don't know how many times I teared up in the hospital reading this book and i bet the nurses thought I was really worried about Wendell! :) Well, thank you for all the prayers. Hopefully we can get his ankle surgery done soon and he can finally be ALL BETTER!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Wow, Wendell had some serious surgery! It sounds like alot had to happen in there. eek....
Those poor nurses were all worried about you and you were boo-who-ing over some book! Funny funny! I love you so much!
Glad to hear he made it through surgery without any major hiccups. I've read one of Jodi's books, it was pretty interesting it was called Vanishing Acts.
Missed you at work today- had no one really to talk to. Glad that all went well with Wendall and that he is feeling better.
Post a Comment