Friday, September 12, 2008

Let's get deep...

A couple of weeks ago at church, the message was about the different ways God speaks to you...through the Word, through other people, through simple things like nature and yes even through worldly things like music and movies, etc. Music...all kinds...is a BIG passion of mine and I think God uses music to speak to me. The other day I was listening to my iPod in the car...had it on shuffle and a song I hadn't heard in forever came on. Not a real spiritual song mind you, but it spoke to me anyway. (God has even used Tom Petty of all singers to speak to me once...do you remember that Jeanne??) It was a song by Creed (it's playing now) and one line just stood out and hit me like a ton of bricks. The line was "Life can hold you down if you're not looking up". That's sort of a no duh kind of thing for a christian...to know that when you're focused on yourself instead of God you're not happy...i know that...but at that moment my heart just had a "wow...that's deep" kind of moment. I sometimes struggle with "life" holding me down and I guess I needed to be reminded. And the thought has come back to me again and again for several days now to put it on the blog and since I'm not much of a "share my feelings" kind of person, I kept saying "Naaaaahhhh". But I'm finally sharing it so that if anyone else needed that "Wow" moment maybe this post will speak to them.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I understand what you are saying, and I certainly agree that God speaks to us in many ways. Thank God he does right?! Because sometimes it's so hard to read the word, although we really need to.

Jeanne said...

I'm totally trying to remember which Tom Petty song. I know once you refresh me, I'll remember completely. I agree with you about "life" holding you down. Usually it's me holding me down. My thoughts are a crazy place to be sometimes. Me and all the people living in this head. Music is one way God speaks to me. I love music and I 100% believe God can express himself that way! :) Thanks for going deep with us. I'm proud of you. Miss you ever so much!

lori said...

Nice word pastor Deb..
I think I hear God through music more than anything else. Looking back it always seems to be a song or a person singing who got me through rough spots

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.