Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Keeping in the loop

Well, I don't have anything BIG to blog about, I just feel like blogging! I always feel like it has to be something special or some big event in order for other people to actually want to read about what's happening with the Sulsona's. But actually NOTHING is happening really...but i felt like keeping in the blog loop so I'll just tell you about our weekend. It was a nice 3-day weekend...can't complain about that! Saturday we just hung around the house. Wendell has been trying for a long time to redo the landscaping around our house and he's currently working on the back. But he can never make it a simple little project....oh, no...it has to be something big. First of all...for those of you who have never been to our house we live down a dirt road on an acre that is definitely not a "manicured lawn". But we watch enough DIY channel garden shows to think we know what we're doing so we always try to make it pretty! Right now he has the concrete patio table that i "inherited" from my dad when he passed away all in pieces and scattered around the back lawn. Now this thing is not light...it is extremely heavy and i tried to talk him into just leaving it where it was and working around it but no...he has bigger and better ideas. So anyway...he worked on that off and on in between the rain showers while the kids and I worked on cleaning the inside But you really can't clean much when you're chasing a one-year old around constantly! It seems my little terror of destruction thinks if he can reach it, it must go on the floor! Then my hubby cooked a yummy new recipe...called a Moroccon something other chicken dish. It was very good. I'll actually share the recipe at the bottom of this post! PLUS we played a little Guitar Hero...btw...I am now a Guitar Legend, thank you very much. I think I missed my calling! Sunday we went to church...sad to say, we hadn't been in a while. Our summer schedule with Jordan gets a little weird and Wendell ends up working every weekend. So anyway...we went and I tried leaving Evan in the nursery for the first time. I stayed with him for about 10 minutes and then tried to sneak away....i know you're not supposed to sneak away but i KNOW he will cry if he sees me leave and i hoped he would just continue playing with the kids. He lasted about 20 mintues. when the buzzer went off and i went to get him he was sobbing so hard he could barely breathe! i felt awful! but it was nice to be at church even if i only got to hear a portion of the message. And finally yesterday we went to Weeki Wachee. We hadn't been before and i had won tickets at my school's carnival so we gave it a try. We had a lot of fun! They have this beachy area (Evan LOVES playing in the sand) and a little wading pool that Evan also loved. Plus they had several water slides and a floating dock for the bigger kids. Besides the fact that the water was like ICE, it was nice! so clear and pretty. I made a deal with Jordan...i would go in the water (all the way to my neck!) if he would go on the water slides. I help up my end of the bargain...after delaying it as long as i could...so then i took jordan up to the slides. He tried to back out but i finally got him on it and then wouldn't you know, we couldn't get him off the things!!! You could go tubing too but we didn't do that with Evan. Sorry no pictures though. We took the camera and didn't take the first picture. i'm slacking i know! so is this long enough for ya??? I can stay on the blog radar now??? ;) Here's the recipe....give it a try...it was good!


Stew Ingredients:
1 tsp Turmeric 2 lbs chicken 1 zucchini sliced
1 tsp Pepper 2 tbs Olive Oil 1 yellow squash sliced
2 tsp Ginger 1 tsp minced garlic 2 medium potatoes (large cubes)
1 tsp Cumin 1 tsp chopped onion 1 16 oz can of chickpeas
1 pinch Saffron 4 cups water
1 tsp Paprika 1 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp Salt 1 red bell pepper minced
1 tsp Coriander 2 carrots sliced

Topping:
1 onion minced
2 tbs olive oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Purchase 1 box store couscous

Mix spices in dish and set aside. Chop meat into large chunks. Heat oil and brown meat on all sides. Add onion and garlic, saute for 5 minutes. Add water, spices and tomato sauce, cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes, cook for 10 more minutes. Add zucchini, squash, and pepper, cook for 15 more minutes. Add chickpeas and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Prepare onion topping. Saute onions to light brown color. Add rest of topping ingredients, saute until carmelized and bubbly.

Make couscous according to the package directions and let set for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.

Serve:
Plate couscous, top with step and then top with onion topping!
YUMMY!

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

I'm so glad to see you back in the loop. I've missed reading your business. Evan sounds just like the "ideal" boy by putting everything he can onto the floor! So proud of the little bugger. Love you muchly!

lori said...

Hey I was supposed to go there with you, you bum!!
Glad you had a good weekend, tell you man good job doing all that hard yard work, whatta man

Jennifer said...

I like reading your blog even when you just talk about your family. It makes me feel connected to you. What a man...to cook up something like that! Sounds like you had a nice 3 day weekend :)

The Cannon Chronicles said...

It's good to know you are alive and well. I am the same way I don't have much to blog about so I haven't blogged in a while. Maybe tomorrow!

Denise said...

I didn't realize Weeki Wachi had all those things to do - I thought it was basically just mermaids. :) Glad you guys had fun. The recipe looks long - I'll just wait for you to make it and invite us over for dinner.

Cyndi said...

Hey girl....thanks so much for sharing that recipe. I LOVE cooking and trying new things. My kids have really diverse palates for their ages bc of it. I am one of those crazy mothers who never let their children eat from a jar. LOL (: I can't wait to try it, I'll let you know how it goes over. Oh, and I had one of those tables at my other house, and wanted to bring it in the move, but decided not to bc it was so heavy!!!!!