Then there's the beignets...I had researched this one and knew the place to go was Cafe du Monde. The only thing is I guess every New Orleans visitor knows to go to Cafe du Monde and the place was PACKED. I am just glad that we got there on Friday when there were fewer people than on Saturday because Saturday was insane! But these things were good and had a mountain of powdered sugar on top. I told Wendell that ANYTHING would taste good with that much powdered sugar on it!!! 
We did a ton of walking. We didn't use our car once! The whole French Quarter is just neat with all these french inspired buildings with the wrought iron balconies covered with flowers and lots of neat little shops. Here's Jefferson Square (i think that was what it was called) with a pretty cathedral that we toured.

There were LOTS of musicians and other artisans. The copper guy was a real man standing like a statue. We saw him both days once as a baseball player and once as a carpenter. The jazz band was playing at one of the cafes where we had lunch. They were so good...even did some classic rock...jazz style!


We even walked down the infamous Bourbon Street. Not my favorite with all the nudie bars but we had to say we at least went. That place got pretty crazy at night. But the most fun was the Mardi Gras parades. The official Mardi Gras celebration isn't until February 24th but they have lots of parades and celebrations leading up to it. I think there were about 10 parades in the 2 days we were there! And they were definitely family friendly....no flashing boobs! I had read online that you should bring a garbage bag to take home all the "throws" you get and boy was that the truth. Of course they throw beads but they also throw fake flowers, stuffed animals, cups, medallions, coins...etc. It's crazy. I think by the end of the night one night I had on about 5 lbs of beads!! There were lots of kids around and they were having a blast and got so excited every time they caught something. There were also lots of high school bands in the parades with cool beats and dancing...the drum majors are awesome to watch. All in all it was a good time. i would love to go back one day.






6 comments:
Boy it looks like ya'll had a blast. I love beignets too! I took to New Orleans about 6 or 7 years ago and we went to a lot of the same places you did. I grew up pretty close so I've visited quite a few times. Did you visit the Wax Museum or the Aquarium?
Love the pics! Ive been there once when I was a teenager. I would like to go back sometime. So glad you got to go and enjoy your weekend with your honey!
Sounds like it was lots of fun. Maybe Geoff and I will make it up there one day but we'll have to fly. We'd both rather stay home than be in the car for that long. Ha ha.
I am so glad you went and had funn, you deserve a fun get away like that
You guys look adorable. I think your a big fat C-razy for driving to Naw'lins during Mardi Gras! :) It looks and sounds like ya'll had so much fun. Don't you know you made some good memories. By the way, how on earth did you get all those beads? I mean, isn't there only one way to get beads during Mardi Gras! Looks like you were a busy bee! :)
Oh my goodness...looks like so much fun!!!! I love the photos, especially the one of you in the mask....super cute.
Post a Comment